Sunday, June 20, 2010

Printsy Interview - Mary Brooks

Etsy: marybrooksart.etsy.com

Brief Bio
I grew up in a small town in central Illinois. I have always been drawn to art, imagination and creativity. I decided to major in art education so I could impress my passion and enthusiasm for art on my students. I love all art forms and mediums, but I have done more silkscreening than anything else. I enjoy being able to use silkscreen to incorporate drawing, painting, and graphic arts into one cohesive piece. Art is a tool I use to express my self, relax, send a message, and bring a little beauty into this world.

How did you get started in printmaking?
I took a design class and my professor also taught silkscreen. I loved her design class so much that I took silkscreen as well. After that, I just never stopped taking silkscreen courses.


What's your favourite printmaking process?
Silkscreen.

What's your creative process for any given print?
I start with a basic sketch and color scheme. However, I never have ideas that are set in stone. Plans change with each layer that I apply, and I don’t like the confinement of having to follow a pre-planned idea. Layers, texture and color are also very important in my work. I use these “tools” to create depth and interest.

What do you enjoy most about printmaking?
The ability to be loose and free yet but also tight and precise if I wish. I like the fact that I can have as many editions of my work as I want. Most of all, I like the versatility of silkscreen and the ability to incorporate other mediums into this print making process.


What's your least favorite part of the process?
Cleaning up afterwards!

What are your inspirations?
Shepard Fairey and Print Mafia for their amazing uses of depth and texture. Burlesque Design for their great designs. The natural world around me is very important and inspirational. Every time I see art, whether at a museum, gallery or show, I leave inspired and wanting to create art.

How has your work changed and evolved since you started?
I have become more confident and bold in my design and color choices. I have figured out what parts of the printmaking process work best for me. I also feel like I have a direction, finally.

How do you get past creative slumps?
Look at art! It is important to constantly me looking at art.


How do you promote your work?
Etsy, local shows, through friends.

Any other comments or advice for others who want to try making hand-pulled prints?
Always try new things and realize that being frustrated is an important part of the process because it makes you more motivated.

1 comment:

northwoods trekker said...

I went to Mary Brook's Etsy page but there are no items listed or posted to look at :(