Sunday, January 9, 2011

Interview with Serena Van Vranken - Almostmonday




Biogaphy

I create because I can’t help myself.  Working with my hands and having a tangible product is an essential part of my well being.  Oil painting is my first love, but lately it has been exciting to express myself in other mediums, such as drypoint and linocut printmaking.  I also enjoy cheese, travel, kitties, and cheap beer. I am a graduate of the University of Oregon’s Interior Architecture program and protégé of figure painter Alexander Rokoff.   I have shown my paintings and my drypoints in various group shows and galleries around Portland.  I am an integral part of the Falcon Art Community, running an open studio for oil painting weekly and a beginning printmaking workshop monthly.  I love living in Portland Oregon but dream of living in other counties. 

Why printing?  

Printmaking feels more ordered then other media does to me.  There’s a process and a set of procedures that must be abided.  The creating/imagination part is unlimited but I like the restrictions of the actual print making.  It fulfills my creative side and my need for order.  

What is your favorite print medium and why?

I love drypoint for the detail and the control during the inking process.  It’s certainly labor intensive, but simpler than other forms of intaglio.  Really just need a poky tool (I use a carbide tip pencil) and a copper plate for the design work.  

How long have you been printing and how has your work evolved?
 
I’m relatively new to printmaking.  I took my first workshop in 2007 and am now running those beginner workshops.  I think my work has taken on a more whimsical feel. 

What or Who influences your work?  

Nature, animals, things around me.  Other printmakers and artists also influence me and let me see different possibilities.  I like to see the work common people do, rather than looking toward famous artists.  I have been very intrigued by the work at Tugboat Printshop lately.  

How do your promote your work? 

Word of mouth when I can, art/craft sales, Facebook, Twitter.  I’m trying it all.  But I’m finding there is a barrier with the internet and my work.  If people can see my work in person they buy it, but I’m not sure the care and detail comes out from the photos to the computer screen. 

Any good printing tips or funny printing stories (or both??) 

Just print!  So many people think they have to reach a certain level to do things.  I say just keep trying and creating.  Not everyone can be rich and famous but everyone can get joy from creating something with their own hands!


1 comment:

Serena said...

Thank you so much! It's been great being a part of Printsy!