Sunday, March 27, 2011

Interview with Martha Briana of Briana’s Boutique

See Matha's Etsy site and Website


Biography

I am currently living in midcoast Maine. We have just moved up here for a more rural life and are putting together a cabin from an old trailer. We are experimenting with the art of simple living.

Why Printing?

The most fascinating thing about printing is multiples. I find printmaking to be a sort of working man’s process.  I can create a design, and spread it out into the world with a large edition.  


What is your favorite print medium and why?
           
I enjoy woodcuts the most. Wood is friendly, natural, and warm. I really like a woodcut that is raw and bold, that isn’t afraid to say, ‘Look at all this wood I just carved, look at how the grain of the wood penetrates into every print I make.’  Wood is this ubiquitous element so essential, especially in Maine.

How long have you been printing and how has your work evolved?

I have been trying to make prints since 2001. I want to translate a more immediate drawing for what interests me, not as much for the draftsmanship, this is always a challenge. How much skill do you need? How much expression do you need? I am always looking for more of both. 

What or Who influences your work?

I’m drawn to the human form, I’m continually fascinated by why humans do what we do. Also femaleness, sensuality, curving lines and egg shapes are influential. My partners violin shop also has an effect on my art.


How do your promote your work?

I’m a member of the Harlow Gallery, and Circling the Square Fine Art Press in Gardener, Maine. These local venues are great to feel community and support for the arts.

2 comments:

Ellen Shipley said...

Love your wonderful curls! I like how they're so fluid, disconnected.

Mary Becker Weiss : Assemblage and Collage : Brunswick ME said...

Martha, your exhibition at Harlow is very strong. Loved all of your pieces. ~ Mary Becker Weiss