Sunday, July 31, 2011

Interview with Nicholas Wilson

Biography

As a professional wildlife artist, I’ve been painting, sculpting and printmaking for over forty five years.  While growing up, my greatest fascination involved animals which lead me to drawing initially. Without any formal training in art, I was able to pursue my interests as opportunities arose during my life. I was hired as staff artist at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson AZ where I learned anatomy and behavior in the native species of my area. As a result, I have my work in many museums and collections including the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C., The Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma, the Booth Museum of Western Art in Georgia, The Leigh Yawkey Art Museum in Wisconsin to name a few. I’ve also been enabled to travel extensively abroad in pursuit of subject matter for may artwork. I currently live with my wife, Debbe, in Tubac AZ.

Why do you like to print? 

Printmaking remains one of my primary means of expression in my art. It allows me to get to the core of a thing in the most essential, graphic terms.  A limited edition of images fulfills a certain kind of satisfaction for me.

What is your favorite print medium and why? 

Most of my printmaking involves copperplate etching however, I’ve also produced some editions in stone lithography and serigraphy. Currently, I’m deeply involved in wood engraving which I find especially interesting. It is certainly my favorite.

How long have you been printing and how has your work evolved? 

I started with linocuts while still in high school but then began my etching seriously back in the 70’s.  From simply experimentation and many failures, I’ve gradually learned the various steps and fine tuning required to create successful editions. 

What inspires you? 

I see myself in certain animal types and express myself through them.

How do your promote your work?

I’m represented in galleries as well as on Etsy.

Are you working on any particular projects now?  

I’m constantly trying new things in an effort to improve my work and provide a substantial statement in my life. Right now I’m focused on my paintings and printmaking.

Tell us one random fact about yourself 

I’ve painted gigantic murals in New York, huge bronze sculptures for an Art Museum in Georgia plus numerous paintings in all mediums yet I find myself constantly returning to my printmaking for the shear joy of it.

Check Out Nicholas' Etsy Shop and Gallery

No comments: