Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sam Gutierrez of White Paper Art Studio

Biography

I grew up in California.  A year and a half ago, I got married and moved to Kelowna, BC.  

Why do you like to print?

I love line.  I love paper.  I love the smell of ink.  I love having multiples of my work and being able to always keep one.  

What is your favorite print medium and why?

Linocut.  I love line.  Linocut is about exploration and development of line.  It is a medium that can really enhance drawing.  I also enjoy the physicality of cutting and inking.  I love paper and delight in using handmade paper.  

How long have you been printing and how has your work evolved?

I have been printing since 1997. I started when I was in college and took my first introductory printmaking course as an art major.  I instantly connected with the linocut medium.  I think it was because I grew up drawing and had already developed a love for line.  Linocut is a perfect medium to take line to the next level.  My work over the past 14 years has been a journey simplification… trying to say more with less.  My earlier work was very busy.  Lately I’ve been trying to return to strong, simple and purposeful statements of line and occasional color.  

What inspires you?

Good music, Good coffee, Good Stories and a Playful Imagination.  

How do your promote your work?

I mostly promote my work through my Etsy site.  I used to have a blog that had all my artwork on it, but you couldn’t purchase work from that site.  Esty has made things so much easier.
 
Are you working on any particular projects now?

I’m working on a series of prints based on the Biblical story of Jonah. 

Tell us one random fact about yourself 

About 10 years ago, I danced while singing a backstreet boys song on Chinese television.  I have a dvd of it.  It’s embarrassing.

Check out Sam's Etsy Site.  

2 comments:

Todd Camplin said...

Great prints, love the expressionism and the interview was insightful as well.

Nick Morley said...

I love that first print! And good to see other artists who love linocut. I write a blog all about linocutting and always welcome good new work to feature! http://www.linocutboy.blogspot.com