Sunday, December 11, 2011

Interview with Nieves Waleska Pumarejo Blanco of Toshisworld

Biography:


Born in Brooklyn, NY and raised in Puerto Rico where I currently live, in the capital, Old San Juan. I made my BA and a Master degree in Visual Art in the Interamerican University of Puerto Rico, San Germán campus.


Why do you like to print?


My love for print came since I was in the kindergarten [and] the teacher showed us how with leaves and empty spools deep in painting create “prints” of them in the paper. Later in my printmaking classes my love grow much more. Printmaking became one of my favorite mediums to work.
What is your favorite print medium and why?


At this moment my favorite is linocut because it is accesible, easy to print if you doesn’t have a workshop and relatively easy to cut and design in it. I love printing in other colors than black and feel the texture of the print papers. On the other hand, if I would have a studio or workshop to print, my other favorite is the collography because of the mix of textures and ideas for work with it.


How long have you been printing and how has your work evolved?

I’m [began] printing again about two years ago. I feel like I’m still learning, every time I do a print something new happens in my mind, so always I’m seeking for knowledge. A new way to cut, a new line to draw, a new paper to try. I want to evolve to perfection, in the meantime I’m really happy learning and printing.


What inspires you?


My inspiration is nature. My culture, my thoughts, my feelings. I’m searching [for] my own language, my own mythologies, my own symbols. Inspiration is an infinite resources that will help me to find my own space in art and printing. I love the form of the leafs, the shells, the lines that defines our environment.

How do you promote your work?


I’m using facebook, twitter and my blogs. [especially] the blogs I feel very comfortable talking about my creative process my thoughts and ideas that I would love to develop in some time.

Are you working in any particular projects now?

Not really, well I have something in mind with print and jewelry and my big project is learning.

Tell us one random fact about yourself


I don’t like talk about myself too much because I’m a shy person but one fact is I love art in all the ways especially photography, jewelry design, printmaking and bookmaking, art is my religion, I love learning about the creative process of other artist and I’m always looking for knowledge. Recently I started my own private print art collection.


Check out Nieves' Etsy Shop and Blog 

No comments: