Sunday, November 28, 2010

Soft Rubber Stamp Project

This project, submitted by Anne Nydam, was developed for her Middle School Students. But it is not only great for teachers but all printers!  

Background:

I was teaching middle school art (before I became a stay-at-home mother when my children were born) when Speedball came out with the carving rubber as an alternative to linoleum.  They sent samples to art teachers, and when I gave it a try it was love at first cut!  Not only has that been my own primary medium pretty much ever since, but it makes relief printing much more accessible to younger students because it cuts so much more safely than lino or wood.  I developed this project as an introduction to printing for sixth graders and used it for many years with great success.  From a teaching point of view it helps students learn about carving and printing, about visual rhythm and repetition, and about improvising and being flexible - not being overset when something doesn't come out as expected.  But from the point of view of the student or anyone doing the project, it's just plain fun!

Bio:

When I stopped being a teacher I started concentrating a lot more on my own art work.  I do relief block prints, sometimes wood but mostly rubber.  I love the carving and I love the ink-or-no-ink contrast of the prints.  In addition to the fun of making the art I'm having a lot of fun doing shows and writing my blog on block prints (and juvenile fantasy, my other love/hobby/job.)

Tutorial:

Click here for the link to a write-up I did on my blog "Black and White: Words and Pictures."
Click Here for Anne's Etsy Shop

No comments: